JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Driver's license in Japan... - 02-16-2009, 08:43 AM

One of my resolutions for the new year (actually made by my gf for me) was to get a Japan drivers license.

For those of you who don't know, obtaining a driver's license in Japan is not like it is in other places, particularly America.

My first step in getting a Japan driver's license was to get my American license translated. This must be done at an official agency (usually the JAF, Japan's version of AAA). I looked up the Tokyo office on Google Maps, and found that it was about a 20 minute bicycle ride away. The office was a modern building located near Shimbashi, and finding it was not difficult. Luckily the office was not busy. I handed my license to the young lady at the counter, and she asked me to wait. 20 minutes and 3000 yen later, I had my translation.

Last Monday morning found me at Kaihim Makurai, where the nearest driver's license center was located. The license center was about 10 minutes walk from the train station, and I arrived early enough to be the first person in line. The window opened, and I submitted my documents, which included my license, license translation, alien registration card, passport, photo, and application. I was told to sit and wait for my name to be called.

20 minutes later my name was called, so I walked back to the window. I was told that I needed to provide proof that I had lived at the address indicated on my license for at least 90 days. I didn't have any such proof at the moment, so I was unable to complete the process. I returned to the station and took the train home.

Fast forward one week. Once again I arrive at Makuhari and walk to the drivers license center. This time I am not so early, but the line is short. I submitted the previous documents and include the only official item which proved I lived at the address on my license for one year, and that was a concealed weapon permit which was issued the following year. The permit raised a few eyebrows, but it was the all the proof I needed. Once again I was told to sit and take a seat.

While waiting, I struck up a conversation with another foreigner who was waiting to take his driving test. This was his second attempt, and he was still angry after having been failed the first time. He was of the opinion (most likely true) that "us gaijin" were failed out of spite, and not for any real mistakes in the test. His name was called for the test in the middle of our conversation, so he had to leave.

The wait was taking some time, luckily for me I had brought a book to read. About 30 minutes later my name was called. Once again there was a problem with my documentation. It turned out that my passport was fairly new (less than 2 years old), while my drivers license was 6 years old. I had entered Japan twice on the previous passport, and before I could get a license, I had to contact immigration in Japan and get records of my previous entries and departures. What any of that had to do with getting a driver's license was beyond me, but the Japanese are bureaucrat's bureaucrats; I was given another form to be filled out and mailed to immigration. I'll have to wait for immigration to send me the documents before I can go return and continue the process.

While this was being explained to me, the man with whom I had been speaking earlier passed by in an obviously bad mood. It seems that he had failed his driving test for the second time. According to what I learned on the internet before going to get my license, foreigners normally must take the driving test 2.4 times before passing.

Anyway, my request forms will be mailed to immigration in the morning. Hopefully I'll receive the records in time to get my license by the end of the month.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

02-16-2009, 09:28 AM

Wow, that's a lot faster than Gunma. From the time you sign in, you have about 3 hours till the driving test. All foreigners are given the driving test at the same time which is the last test of the day. The entire process takes about 6 hours. One mistake in the driving section and they will fail you. It isn't so much as they do this out of spite, but that many Japanese people have taken the test over and over again for months on end to perfect it at driving schools.

First test I failed because I was not pumping the brakes at the big diamonds before crosswalks. Second fail was due to crossing the middle line while making a right hand turn. Third and final failure was caused by my stopping at a light with the front bumper over the white line as opposed to being able to see the white line.

What is really terrible though is riding with a Japanese person who passed on their first go round and knowing that you have more years behind the wheel than they do. Also when you actually get out there on the road, you will almost everyday encounter someone doing something that in the States would have gotten them killed or at the least chased down by a road raging maniac.

Last edited by jasonbvr : 02-16-2009 at 09:35 AM.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
02-16-2009, 10:02 AM

From all the foreigners I`ve talked to who didn`t manage to pass (pretty much everyone?) it has a whole lot more to do with the attitude of "Well, I was driving for years in my home country, so the laws here aren`t something I need to worry about." than anything else.

The test is strict. They don`t let you pass without a close to perfect score, which can be a real shock to someone who got their license in the US where you only have to score like 50% to be passed. (I forget the exact percentage, but it was close to that when I was looking into getting my temps back in high school. Maybe 60%?) When I took my test here, the written test only allowed for 2 mistakes, and the actual driving test for one minor mistake. A huge difference.

I don`t really know much about the path the two of you took / are taking - I got my first license in Japan. I went to a driving school, passed there, then passed everything on first try.

My aunt is a driving instructor in the US though, and whenever I have her visit she`ll point out the differences in what the driving laws are here than there... And when you take the driving test, they REALLY look here.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
mrnicekid (Offline)
JF Regular

02-16-2009, 11:33 AM

i actually took my THIRD test today, and failed again.

they say i didn't do enough 安全確認 (safety confirmation)...

i should have taken that driving lesson from certified driving schools here. my friend who took the class before taking the test would pass the test just in one try.

i guess if you want to pass the test will less tries, you should consider coughing up the money to go to driving schools first.

it's worth it.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
nekomaniac (Offline)
New to JF

02-16-2009, 10:04 PM

LOL!!! Times have changed!!! When I was in Japan I was able to get a licensefairly easily without taking the test required by all Japanese . Ex pats were .....allowed to obtain a license without much trouble.

For most of you this would be log cabin days-from 76 to 80
(#6 (permalink))
Old
nekomaniac (Offline)
New to JF

02-16-2009, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
From all the foreigners I`ve talked to who didn`t manage to pass (pretty much everyone?) it has a whole lot more to do with the attitude of "Well, I was driving for years in my home country, so the laws here aren`t something I need to worry about." than anything else.

The test is strict. They don`t let you pass without a close to perfect score, which can be a real shock to someone who got their license in the US where you only have to score like 50% to be passed. (I forget the exact percentage, but it was close to that when I was looking into getting my temps back in high school. Maybe 60%?) When I took my test here, the written test only allowed for 2 mistakes, and the actual driving test for one minor mistake. A huge difference.

I don`t really know much about the path the two of you took / are taking - I got my first license in Japan. I went to a driving school, passed there, then passed everything on first try.

My aunt is a driving instructor in the US though, and whenever I have her visit she`ll point out the differences in what the driving laws are here than there... And when you take the driving test, they REALLY look here.
you did the right thing I think-and your attitude reflects your understanding of the Japanese psyche. I found my time in Japan to be wonderful, interesting-a learning experience.

My husband was sent to Japan with IBM-our life style was different from those living on the economy-most wives were bored spoiled women who spent their time learning Ikebana, shopping and stuffing their homes with as much as they could carry when they came back-sometimes I regret I did not bring back some other things but living treasures are so much better.

I learned to speak the language better than most and can speak without an accent-I can read a bit (but it has been so many years) and was just learning.

We had a young woman exchange student from Japan several years ago-that was such a treat-she now lives in Kawasaki-a wonderful girl-she played the piano so beautifully I went and bought a piano so she could study. She is a super human being.

You are so lucky to have your experiences-read about your mom experiences-too bad but sounds like you are happy now-Many blessings and good wishes
(#7 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

02-17-2009, 09:34 AM

Oh yeah, I forgot to say this. If you are from a certain number of countries, you don't have to take the test.

The reason Americans must is because the driving exam is not nationalized. The requirements are different state by state. Therefore Japan would not fund a review of all fifty states to determine if it held up to their standards. With others like say Canada, they simply sent a team to review the one standardized test, found it sufficient, and Canadians just have to get their license translated to be issued a Japanese one.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

02-17-2009, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbvr View Post
Oh yeah, I forgot to say this. If you are from a certain number of countries, you don't have to take the test.

The reason Americans must is because the driving exam is not nationalized. The requirements are different state by state. Therefore Japan would not fund a review of all fifty states to determine if it held up to their standards. With others like say Canada, they simply sent a team to review the one standardized test, found it sufficient, and Canadians just have to get their license translated to be issued a Japanese one.
I have a class A (commercial) license in America, and class A licenses are nationally standardized. The only benefit I get from having a class A license is that I don't have to take the 10 question written test. Unfortunately, I still have to take the driving test.

One complaint that I have heard frequently from foreigners in Japan is that the drivers license center doesn't like to pass people who haven't attended the expensive Japanese driving schools. Some people seem to think that the license examiners are getting kickbacks from the driving schools, failing a large percentage of testers in order to make it appear that spending $3000 or so to take a driving class is not such a bad idea.

Some of these driving school graduates get away with making mistakes on the driving test which would result in instant failure for those who haven't attended driving school.

Anyway, my forms are in the mail, hopefully immigration doesn't take too long responding.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Sinestra (Offline)
ショ ン

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
02-17-2009, 01:38 PM

Certain states are harsher than others. I live in Maryland and holy crap are they strict. None of this 50% or 60% crap it pretty much 85-90% 3 mistakes like forgetting to single will fail you. If you cross the white line at a stop sign you fail. Its not as easy to get a license here as it use to be they watch for everything now. Not to mention once you get your license its not a full one you have provisional you cant drive at midnight, you cant have more than 1 person in your age group in the car for the first 3 months and no using your cell phone at all.

(#10 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
02-17-2009, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
Certain states are harsher than others. I live in Maryland and holy crap are they strict. None of this 50% or 60% crap it pretty much 85-90% 3 mistakes like forgetting to single will fail you. If you cross the white line at a stop sign you fail. Its not as easy to get a license here as it use to be they watch for everything now. Not to mention once you get your license its not a full one you have provisional you cant drive at midnight, you cant have more than 1 person in your age group in the car for the first 3 months and no using your cell phone at all.
That`s what I consider lenient. Forgetting to signal or crossing the line when you stop is a major mistake.
If I`d forgotten to signal, or crossed the line when stopping they would have ended the test then and there and failed me. 3 of those is pretty much unthinkable.

When I say "minor mistake" I mean something along the lines of not looking far enough to the side before turning, or forgetting to check the lights before you get in the car. (Required, by the way.) Or screwing up the order of the basic engine check.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.