JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
ashaney13 (Offline)
New to JF

Exclamation Questions about visas (time is of the essence) - 07-22-2009, 08:35 AM

Minnasan,

Here is my situation. I am currently residing in Kokubunji and attending summer courses in Japanese at a university in Mitaka, Tokyo. I possess a tourist visa (90 days). I have a flight scheduled on the 18th of August that will take me back to America.

I am also currently looking for work. I have an interview with a company (Toiwa Investments). If anyone knows anything about this company, please feel free to inform me, although I'm sure I'll find out more tomorrow at the interview.

That all being said, if I get the job, what is my next step with regards to my visa status? I checked the government websites, and it is a bit confusing to navigate. Additionally, if I don't get the job, I would like to continue living in Japan and looking for work. Working in Japan for at least a year is my ultimate goal (I have a girlfriend in Osaka) while I save up money (for a wedding ring, mostly) and gain job/living experience.

Would I need to apply for the change of residence status? If so, how can I go about getting an alien registration card or a certificate of eligibility? Do companies generally assist workers with obtaining visas?

If anyone has useful information on the subject, please let me know. Time is of the essence. Thank you.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-22-2009, 12:57 PM

August the 18th is pretty close to now, unless you have a job offer already in hand, with a signed contract and sponsorship form from a company, you are not going to be able to extend your stay. You will have to leave as scheduled, and get another 90 day visa when you reenter Japan at a later date.

Most companies who hire foreigners are knowledgeable about the visa process, and will take care of the paperwork for you. If your interview with Toiwa goes well, and they decide to hire you, you will be given an application for a certificate of eligibility/work visa. You will have to supply documents to go with the application, namely, an original copy of your 4 year or better college diploma, and your passport. You will also need a copy of your employment contract, specifying your pay and the length of your employment, as well as a signed sponsorship form from the company.

Take all of these documents to the immigration office in Shinagawa (go to the east exit at the station and then follow the signs, they are in English, they will direct you to the bus which goes straight to the immigration center). Arrive as early as possible, preferably by 8:30am.

Provided all of your paperwork is in order, you should be able to get a stamp in your passport which will serve as an extension of your stay until your visa is approved and made. You'll be notified by mail when it is ready. You'll need to pay for the visa, the exact cost will be listed in the application form, and you can buy the payment stamps at the convenience store on the first floor of the immigration building.

Once you have your work visa, you can get a residency card (gaijin card) at your city office. After getting your residency card, you can then open a bank account or get a drivers license.

Good luck.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
ashaney13 (Offline)
New to JF

07-23-2009, 07:02 AM

Thank you, your reply was very helpful. The interview at Tokiwa seemed to go well... but it is commission based so I will probably have to do some private English teaching or some other part time job on the side. Anyway, hopefully it will all work out. 一生懸命頑張ります。
(#4 (permalink))
Old
sarasi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-23-2009, 12:55 PM

Just a question- can a company which is employing you on a commission basis act as your visa sponsor? I was under the impression that Immigration wants to see a job offer with a guaranteed income to issue a working visa.

I may be wrong, but...has this company actually told you they will sponsor your visa?
(#5 (permalink))
Old
ashaney13 (Offline)
New to JF

07-26-2009, 07:29 AM

You're probably right. The individual that interviewed me noted that "only 10% of the people they hire get sponsored" but that "you (I) can get a sponsorship." Hmm...

In all honesty, the interview was one of the sketchiest things I have ever experienced. On top of being 100% commission based, you have to seek out your own customers as well. This probably involves a lot of cold calling and quasi-honesty. I am definitely going to steer clear of this company and explore other options.

Thanks a ton for your help, guys!
(#6 (permalink))
Old
GTJ (Offline)
Defeater of Weaboos

Send a message via Skype™ to GTJ
07-29-2009, 01:56 PM

Sponsorship is very tricky.

Can I ask why your'e on a tourist visa (temporary landing permit) if you're enrolled at a University? You should be on a student visa if that's the case... hmm...

Cheers to Sangetsu for a fantastic explanation. I have very little to add to that but I will what I can:

Sponsorship is, like I said, very tricky. The minimum requirements are a bachelor's degree from a 4-year institution, a signed contract from your potential employer, and a minimum salary and number of working hours that will be determined by the Ministry to be sufficient to support yourself in Japan (so you don't end up homeless and a liability to the country, apparently).

Your timing is tough and I know exactly how you feel because I was in a similar situation. You have to face the possibility that you might just have to go home for a bit. I think unless your'e willing to wade through the swampy pool of eikaiwa (ECC, Gaba, Interac, Aeon, etc) back in your home country (which takes a LOT of time), find a way to be in Japan to look for employment in person. I'm guessing your ticket back home is non-refundable at this point, otherwise I would say get a flight to Korea, then back to Japan after a few days to get another 90 day temporary landing permit and look like crazy for work.

Of course, though, this becomes expensive because if you come into the country on a temp. permit, you need to have a plane ticket out or they won't let you in. So buy two tickets, and if you get a job, refund the other.

Hope this helps!