JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
addictedKool (Offline)
JF Regular

International Studies major has a question... - 08-11-2009, 11:48 PM

Here's the dealio:

I'm an American sophomore college student. I'm at the point of my life where I don't know what I want to be, as far as choosing a career. Hell, I'm not even sure I know exactly what I want to major in. I'm currently going with the flow in the premed track but I don't know if medicine is really for me.

LONG STORY SHORT, I sort-of, kind of, hoping I don't change my mind for the thousandth time, choose to be an International Studies major. I have no clue what I want to do with that degree after I graduate. All I know is, I enjoy studying politics, cultures, and the whole shebang.

So. Here's the question. I don't really have any intentions of living in Japan because I haven't visited the country yet. However, hypothetically (and I do love to play the "what if" game) let's say I do want to live there for a couple of years. What... can I do with this major? Given that I pass JLPT level 2 and I teach English for a year (plan on applying for the JET program.... woot?).

Last edited by addictedKool : 08-11-2009 at 11:51 PM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
wasabijuice (Offline)
JF Regular

08-12-2009, 12:36 AM

The International Studies degree will help if you take an Asian studies minor or concentration along with Japanese language minor with of course at least 1 semester abroad in Japan. Nowadays they don't want whiney JETs who need their hand held for every little thing. Outside of teaching in Japan or somewhere else, I don't see the degree doing very much for you. If you dream big you can apply for foreign service, but that competition would be tough, unless you are stellar.
You can always come here and teach, see if it is for you. Then go home and get an Education degree in 18 mos or 2 years. Maybe if your Japanese language skills are really good you can get in with a Japanese corporation, clerical, or something back home.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-12-2009, 12:44 AM

I've heard that undergrad degrees don't really absolutely define what kind of job you should have. I've heard it's really the graduate degree that people will pay attention to, if you want to do somethind specific like counselling or nursing. When it comes to being a teacher, for example, it doesn't really matter if you majored in English in order to be an English teacher - in Japan and elsewhere.

I'm not an expert, but unless you have your sights set on a specific job, I wouldn't worry too much about what you major in.

LOVE: pass it on