JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
EY79 (Offline)
New to JF

Working as an illustrator/comic artist in Tokyo! - 12-22-2009, 02:15 PM

Hi all,

I've been to Tokyo recently, but I couldn't make any research about this subject. So, I wanted to ask you guys. Do you think it's possible to be able to work in Tokyo in the fields of illustration/comics, without speaking any Japanese?

Do you think that it would be required to know the Japanese language? I'm willing to learn the language, as I love to learn different languages. I can speak Turkish, German and English fluently. I'm aware that knowing the languge is a plus, however, it may be different when it comes to particular industries such as arts and the like. That's what I thought anyway.

So, I'm looking forward to your opinions and experiences.

Thanks in advance!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-22-2009, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EY79 View Post
Hi all,

I've been to Tokyo recently, but I couldn't make any research about this subject. So, I wanted to ask you guys. Do you think it's possible to be able to work in Tokyo in the fields of illustration/comics, without speaking any Japanese?

Do you think that it would be required to know the Japanese language? I'm willing to learn the language, as I love to learn different languages. I can speak Turkish, German and English fluently. I'm aware that knowing the languge is a plus, however, it may be different when it comes to particular industries such as arts and the like. That's what I thought anyway.

Thanks in advance!
Short answer: No.

If you have a skill that Japanese people don't have (i.e. speaking English) than you can find work without being fluent in Japanese.

But who is going to hire a foreigner to do something that thousands of native Japanese can also do?

The visa process is a lot of work for an employer...an illustrators are not generally hired full time, but contracted (work you could do from your home country.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
clintjm (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-22-2009, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EY79 View Post
Hi all,

Thanks in advance!
Well possibly. Look at Dr. Movie.
Kinda of like people from India working in I.T. in the U.S.

MMM is basically right, why hire a foreigner and pay for an expensive working visa when a native can do it just as well.

You would have to really have some skills to set you aside to be unique. Or if a company is in a pickle and needs to find someone with some experience in some new illustration technology you might be able to get your foot in the door.

But really, why would you want to work in Japan if you don't care to learn the language?

Put yourself out there with the Internet or find a illustration/animation studio that will hire you locally. Game companies as well. Hopefully that studio is international and you could go from there.

If you are in the U.S. you definitely have somewhere to start as game companies are always looking for talent.

Good luck.

( A great Japanese drama [USO KOI] based on a situation on a foreign designer trying to get her foot in the door ... and her Japanese is quite good. Its tough, but follow your dream. )

Uso Koi [
(#4 (permalink))
Old
EY79 (Offline)
New to JF

12-22-2009, 08:50 PM

Thank you guys, for the replies!

First off, I 'am' willing to learn the language. In fact, I'm trying to memorize what I've heard while I was in Tokyo If I would live in Japan, I'm sure I'd be talking Japanese, I mean the daily language at least, in 6 months. I'm very talented and interested in foreign languages.

And yes, why would they hire a foreigner?! Well, maybe I think I'm very good at what I'm doing?! Sure there are thousands of people that are very good at what I'm doing as well. But I'm very good as well. So, I'd like to give it a shot.

I love the Japanese culture and language very much. And after I saw it and experienced it first hand, I kinda decided that I could live in Tokyo.

The only thing I was curious about was the language thing. I hope the rest will be solved somehow.

Thanks again, much appreciated.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-23-2009, 12:22 AM

The best way to learn a language is to immerse yourself, so in 6 months of living in Japan and making a concentrated effort you should be strong enough to get yourself around.

In terms of illustrators/artists. I just want to be clear, that is more of a lifestyle than a job description. You can be a professional artist, and certainly there are thousands of those out there, but generally you are contracted for projects, and not hired full time and go to an office 9 to 5. I have worked on projects with clients locally to clients as far as New York and Tokyo. Nobody is ever in the same room together and I never have to leave the comfort of my home.

In terms of being very good at art, that is fine, but that isn't enough. You have to be better than everyone else...so good that the government will agree with the company that wants to hire you that it's worth not giving a Japanese person a job so that they can give you a job. We see this pattern in professional sports...but I am not sure about publishing.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
EY79 (Offline)
New to JF

12-23-2009, 06:13 PM

Thank you for your opinions, MMM. Very much appreciated!

You are right about the language thing. It's very fortunate for me that I'm really eager to learn foregin languages. Especially Japanese. I just watched Akira in Japanese, again ) ı love the language, it's pretty difficult tho.

I'm a freelance illustrator in the moment. So, your words about this subject is very important actually. I know exactly what you mean whenyou are talking about working from home and never see anyone you are working with. It's the same with me right now. I'm in Istanbul, Turkey at the moment. I kinda got very bored here and want to go to some other place. I considered LA, London, Berlin and the like, but at this very moment, just after I saw Tokyo, I really want to be there. As it was always a place in my head. Maybe it's just a temporary thing, I don't know, but I doubt it.

And as for the fact that you should be better than anyone else is so true, I know that. It's the same in Germany as well. They always look for natives that can do the same thing you do, befoe they end up hiring you. So, I guess it's the same everwhere else.

But the funny thing is, I never really tried seriously to find some job in above mentioned cities before. I mean I did try, but not seriously. And somehow I'm really fascinated with Tokyo, and I keep telling myself 'that's the place you gotta be'.

And the good thing about Japan is, unlike USA, Germany and England, Japan does not ask you for a visa. I can stay for 90 days without a visa. So, it's possible for me to take my portfolio and see people face to face and present myself. Better than an online application. I'm good at what I'm doing. I even try to be better, and I get better every day. I think the key is to prepare a very good portfolio tho. I have some plans in my mind, as far as preparing a portfolio goes. Let's see how things will unfold

Thanks again.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

re illustrators etc in JAPAN - 07-14-2010, 11:31 AM

This is a slightly different subject but recently I have received a book of illustrations for the TALE OF GENJI. All very beautiful. My japanese friend explained to me it was all done with paper cutting which struck me as fantastic.

The details are so precise, Oh what a marvellous skill.

I hope the persoh who started this thread has a good career whereever he/she may venture.

I am sure it is a cutthroat world where ever you may be but talent needs to be used and recognised.

GOOD LUCK TO you in the future.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
WesternInk (Offline)
New to JF

07-14-2010, 03:49 PM

It's definitely possible, so if this is something you want to do, then don't get your hopes down! I found this one girl's blog and she works as an assistant manga artist in Tokyo right now, for the series Prince of Tennis. Apparently she didn't know any Japanese when she first got the job, but she's slowly learning! So it seems to me that you need good luck and good opportunities (eg. being in the right place at the right time) more than the ability to understand Japanese. Wish you luck!