JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
sakurasake41 (Offline)
New to JF

Place to stay for about a month? - 02-12-2010, 04:38 AM

Hello! It's been a while~

So, I'm currently studying in Japan at Nihon Daigaku. Right now I live in Shimo-takaido in an apartment provided by the school, and I receive the JASSO scholarship, enabling me to pay my insanely-cheap-by-Tokyo-standards rent (30,000 yen a month). I also have a part-time job as an English teacher for a friend of my teacher's daughter, and I go three times a week for an hour and make 7500 yen a week. The term ends on March 30th, and despite how much I love it here, because of money issues I had resigned myself to leaving in the first week of April. And I do love it here--I won't be able to return for at least two years after I leave, because of aforementioned money issues, which upsets me greatly, and I would love to stay longer, but because the term ends on March 30th, I also stop receiving my scholarship then, so if I wanted to find another place to live for a while just to stay longer, I knew I wouldn't be able to afford anywhere all by myself (this is talking on 7500 yen a week). I have many friends who live in Tokyo, but none of them have space for me, unfortunately.

However, I just got an email from my mother, asking me if it would be possible for me to stay until May 10th, because the prices of plane tickets back to America decrease dramatically around then. I would LOVE to stay and this is a wonderful opportunity, but... again, I have nowhere to stay, and I couldn't afford a place on my own (plus it's not worth it to get an apartment for about a month).

So I'm wondering, do any of you have any ideas? I wouldn't mind getting another job, not at all, but I know that most places wouldn't want to hire me for such a short amount of time. I'm told that there are hostels and 'gaijin houses' and places like that where you can stay for relatively cheap amounts, but I don't know anything about those or where to find out about them, so I could use more information on that, too.

Basically, any sort of help is appreciated. I would really, really, really love to stay until May, so if I can find somewhere TO stay... it would make me incredibly happy.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

Send a message via Skype™ to alanX
02-12-2010, 05:56 AM

You, my friend, are looking for "rental apartments" or "serviced apartments."
You pay in monthly increments. No contract, no guarantor, no key money.

Apartments, Serviced Apartments and Guest Houses in Japan – GaijinPot Apartments › Serviced Listing

猿も木から落ちる
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Firebird (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via ICQ to Firebird Send a message via Skype™ to Firebird
02-12-2010, 11:03 AM

Heres a link to gaijin houses Gaijin House´s: Home
the one i stayed (quite nice!) Oakhouse | Guest House Tokyo, guesthouse, room rent in Japan

however i´m not sure if you can manage to pay them either... its at least, i guess, 40000yen a month for a dorm room (if you are lucky to find anything) and youth hostels will usually be more expensive than that for a whole month. Your best chance would be to find someone sharing a room in a gaijinhouse with you, this would be around 30000yen a month, but i wouldn´t do that with anyone i don´t know. Isn´t there the possibility to rent you current apartment for 1 more month? Have you asked your school for advice?

Back home after 1 year work and travel in Japan and 3 month in Korea: www.teglas.asia (text is in German, but see the pictures!)
(#4 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

Send a message via Skype™ to alanX
02-12-2010, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebird View Post
Your best chance would be to find someone sharing a room in a gaijinhouse with you, this would be around 30000yen a month.
No, his best chance would be to pay 30,000円 a month (rent) and have an entire apartment to himself via a rental apartment.

Gaijin/Sakura houses should be used only as a last resort, in my opinion.

猿も木から落ちる
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Firebird (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via ICQ to Firebird Send a message via Skype™ to Firebird
02-14-2010, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanX View Post
No, his best chance would be to pay 30,000円 a month (rent) and have an entire apartment to himself via a rental apartment.

Gaijin/Sakura houses should be used only as a last resort, in my opinion.
You´re right, but these are usually not so easy to find and often need a guarantor. I´ve looked through the site you posted and there are some good offers but nothing under 45000円 a month. Anyway, good luck finding some place

Back home after 1 year work and travel in Japan and 3 month in Korea: www.teglas.asia (text is in German, but see the pictures!)
(#6 (permalink))
Old
typing (Offline)
JF Regular

02-19-2010, 10:35 PM

Bamboo House Provides Inexpensive Furnished Tokyo Apartments, Guesthouses, Hostels, Weekly Accommodations!

I only ever recommend them cus my BF does the web design and he gets so damn excited when someone makes a reservation

I have great faith in fools -- self confidence my friends call it. -- Edgar Allan Poe