JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#51 (permalink))
Old
Misericordias (Offline)
JF Regular

07-22-2010, 08:15 AM

Hello again! Since I leave for Korea in a few days and then Japan in a month or a half, I realized something: how should I approach jobs in Japan? As an exchange student, what would be the best type of part-time job for me? I'm thinking about something related to teaching English, but I'm wondering if there's something or somewhere else I can work part-time.
(#52 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-22-2010, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misericordias View Post
Hello again! Since I leave for Korea in a few days and then Japan in a month or a half, I realized something: how should I approach jobs in Japan? As an exchange student, what would be the best type of part-time job for me? I'm thinking about something related to teaching English, but I'm wondering if there's something or somewhere else I can work part-time.
Find out what you are allowed to do, first. The last thing you want to do is break the rules and be sent home.
(#53 (permalink))
Old
Misericordias (Offline)
JF Regular

08-09-2010, 01:34 PM

Thanks MMM, I probably should have thought of that first before I posted that question. Sorry for the extreme delay- I'm currently in Korea right now and my schedule's been a bit hectic juggling visiting relatives and school.

I have another question, if you may indulge me: what are some awesome places I should visit during my stay? I realize that this question can be answered once I enter into Japan, but surely the people around me will not know all the best places to visit. One places I would like to visit in particular are fish markets. Aside from the tsukiji fish market, are there any other well-known markets?

Living in Korea made me realize one thing: I cannot tolerate humidity. The place I am staying it regularly reaches around 80-90% humidity; is the same true for Japan during summer?

How are the public drinking water locations in Japan? In Korea, it's very rare for me to find a drinking station in a public setting- is it also true for Japan?

There is also a lack of paper towels in the restrooms to dry my hands off after a wash in Korea. Instead, they have (if at all) these weak hand dryers that doesn't do much. Would I have to carry a handkerchief with me or is the situation in Japan a bit more technologically up to date so that I wouldn't have to resort to carrying handkerchiefs to dry my hands?

Please forgive me for these seemingly asinine questions- these aspects in Korea has been extremely irritating for me so I want to know whether I will experience this again or it will be a bit more comfortable in Japan regarding these situations.
(#54 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-09-2010, 08:41 PM

what are some awesome places I should visit during my stay?

I don't really know Tokyo that well. Hopefully someone here can help. What sorts of things are you interested in?

The place I am staying it regularly reaches around 80-90% humidity; is the same true for Japan during summer?

Yes.

How are the public drinking water locations in Japan? In Korea, it's very rare for me to find a drinking station in a public setting- is it also true for Japan?

Good question. Not very common, I think. You can see drinking fountains in large public areas like shopping malls, but vending machines are everywhere.

Would I have to carry a handkerchief with me or is the situation in Japan a bit more technologically up to date so that I wouldn't have to resort to carrying handkerchiefs to dry my hands?

Most people carry a handkerchief. A lot of public restrooms have paper towels, but many have air dryers (that tend to be very powerful).
(#55 (permalink))
Old
Misericordias (Offline)
JF Regular

08-10-2010, 12:12 AM

Quote:
I don't really know Tokyo that well. Hopefully someone here can help. What sorts of things are you interested in?
I don't really like metropolitan areas or large cities like Tokyo all too much. I prefer rural areas and places where I can go hiking. Scenic views are something I really enjoy.
(#56 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-10-2010, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misericordias View Post
I don't really like metropolitan areas or large cities like Tokyo all too much. I prefer rural areas and places where I can go hiking. Scenic views are something I really enjoy.
Where are you going to be going to school?
(#57 (permalink))
Old
Misericordias (Offline)
JF Regular

08-10-2010, 08:19 AM

I will be staying in Chiba.