JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
ahmed28 (Offline)
New to JF

Help on Cost pf Living in Osaka - 07-06-2010, 03:36 PM

Hello everyone,

I am Ahmed, a computer engineer. I would like to enter Osaka University as a self support student. I would like to ask about the cost of living in Osaka. Can you please help me on that?

Thank you very much.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-06-2010, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmed28 View Post
Hello everyone,

I am Ahmed, a computer engineer. I would like to enter Osaka University as a self support student. I would like to ask about the cost of living in Osaka. Can you please help me on that?

Thank you very much.
It varies a great deal... some people have to have nice things (big apartment, good food, partying, a car, etc) while others can get by on much, much less. What is the cost of living where you are? I'm sure it too varies depending upon the person's tastes.

That said, IMO you can get by in Japan for around $1200-1500 USD per month, maybe less if you share an apartment and eat cheaply, or more if you want nicer things. But that amount will get you a good, comfortable lifestyle without getting excessive.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#3 (permalink))
Old
ahmed28 (Offline)
New to JF

07-06-2010, 04:31 PM

Thank you very much samurai007

I am going for studying, so my needs are small apartment and no car no partying. I would like to ask, can it be less than 1000$, around 600-800$ per month??

Thank you very much again
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-06-2010, 07:59 PM

I can't think of apartments much under $600 if you are staying in Osaka proper. I do not think it is reasonable to think you could live (rent, electricity, water, gas, food) for under $1000 per month.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-07-2010, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmed28 View Post
Thank you very much samurai007

I am going for studying, so my needs are small apartment and no car no partying. I would like to ask, can it be less than 1000$, around 600-800$ per month??

Thank you very much again
You're welcome.

As MMM said, you should probably budget at least $600 and up for an apartment in Osaka. And if you live far enough outside the city to find a place for less, you'll probably make up the difference in commuting costs.

Then add in all your bills, food, etc to that $600 apartment and that will come to at least $1000 a month total, if you can live on about $13 per day for everything besides rent, which isn't very easy in Japan. $20 per day is more likely, which brings you up to $1200 per month, and $30 per day takes you to $1500 per month. But a lot depends upon what kind of a deal you can find on an apartment, if you can share a place with other people, etc

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#6 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

07-07-2010, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I can't think of apartments much under $600 if you are staying in Osaka proper. I do not think it is reasonable to think you could live (rent, electricity, water, gas, food) for under $1000 per month.
you can... just have to look.
I used to live in ShinOsaka area in a very nice 2DK apartment which was only $700. Including my all bills and internet it goes around $800 per month. and since i share it with a friend it just goes to $400 per month.

my apartment does not have those security gates so i guess that its cheaper even though it was new.

the OP should also need to know that although some apartments are cheaper you still need to pay reikin and shikikin when you move .

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#7 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-07-2010, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samokan View Post
you can... just have to look.
I used to live in ShinOsaka area in a very nice 2DK apartment which was only $700. Including my all bills and internet it goes around $800 per month. and since i share it with a friend it just goes to $400 per month.

my apartment does not have those security gates so i guess that its cheaper even though it was new.

the OP should also need to know that although some apartments are cheaper you still need to pay reikin and shikikin when you move .
That sounds like an incredible deal, Samokan, to have all your bills and rent covered at 400 dollars a month. Looking for a roommate?
(#8 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

07-07-2010, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
That sounds like an incredible deal, Samokan, to have all your bills and rent covered at 400 dollars a month. Looking for a roommate?
unfortunately i'm not living in osaka anymore , got transferred to tokyo.
now am in living in a shared house paying around $550 per month , rent/bills and all

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#9 (permalink))
Old
FJCOM (Offline)
New to JF

07-07-2010, 06:01 PM

Biggest expense is going to be rent.

Check KFM.to for rentals or gaijin houses.
You can find cheaper places, but can depend on length of stay. Fork out for key money and it often works out cheaper over a longer period of time.