JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
kawaiikiwi (Offline)
New to JF

Living in Japan for 3 months //help needed! - 01-07-2012, 04:26 AM

Here's the deal; I want to live in Japan for three months in the near future.

I'm sure these sorts of questions have been asked multiple times before, but here we go again...

I'm currently 18 years of age and living in Perth, Australia. In 2013, I'm going to be completing a Bachelor of Education (Early Childhood), which will take me about 2 years (I'm studying for my Certificate III in Children's Services this year, so it'll take 2 years off of my university degree). So, by the time I make it to Japan I'll be qualified to care and teach children between the ages of 0-8 years. In addition to this, I plan on continuing learning Japanese in university so I should have a reasonable level of Japanese competence.
What kind of work would be available for me in Japan?
I'm interested in teaching English, would this be possible and how would I go about this?

I'm really interested in Japanese culture and I've visited Japan in the past (2008 for a month as part of a school exchange) so I'm not interested in staying in 'European' hotels or eating 'European' food. I want to experience Japan, 'Japanese' style.
I'm interested in staying in the Kyoto or Tokushima areas, how would a Westerner go about finding suitable, affordable accomodation?
Would it be at all possible for me to rent a house for the three months?
How much money would be required for food each week? I'm not fussed with where I eat or how fancy it is

Also, the whole prospect of a visa worries me a little. I currently live in Australia, but I'm a New Zealand citizen.
What kind of visas would be available for me?

That's about it really. Any advice or help that you could provide would be very much appreciated!