Thread: Child Adoption
View Single Post
(#44 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
05-06-2007, 02:28 AM

Kira in Japanese means "sparkling". But it`s a bit like naming your child "Glitter" in English. It is okay, I guess, but it is a weak as a name. (edit to add: It is a name though, not just a word.)

With most Japanese names, what it means really has to do with how you write it. There are usually tons of ways to write a single name. The sounds alone don`t have any meaning - it all has to do with the Kanji used in writing the name.

Sachiko can mean many different things, as can Machiko (they`re both normal names with many different writings.) Recently names ending with "ko" are sort of falling out of favor because they sound really traditional, and a bit old. Whether that is a good or bad thing really depends on your personal feelings. I would compare them to names like "Martha". Sort of popular for middle aged women? Not as old sounding as "Ethel" or "Gertrude", but not young sounding either.

(And I again apologize for sounding rude. I really did not mean to at all. I`m not a rude person, and I didn`t intend to write that way. As I said, this really is just the way I write.)

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.