View Single Post
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

03-02-2014, 01:30 AM

I am not ethnically Japanese, but I have lived in Japan for some time, and live a very Japanese lifestyle. I live in central Tokyo, in the Chuo ward, next to the Sumida river.

My favorite dishes are particularly Japanese. In the morning I eat bread or pastry and coffee. Lunch is bento of some type, usually fish, rice, vegetables, and tea or coffee. I am in a higher income bracket, so I often eat out for dinner; my wife and I like to visit a new restaurant at least once a week. When eating at home, dinner is usually traditional Japanese; rice, udon, miso soup, shabu-shabu, nabe, etc.

In regards to national obesity trends (or the lack thereof) the lead driver is mainly economic. Food is expensive in Japan, costing on average double what it does in Europe, and nearly triple what it does in America. Most Japanese men give all of their pay to their wives, who usually handle bills and expenses, and men receive a monthly allowance with which to buy lunch, etc. This allowance is generally small, and is about 10,000 yen per month. This is enough to get onigiri, a piece of bread, and a bottle of tea each day. Among developed nations, the Japanese have very little disposable income. Food is not the only thing which is more expensive in Japan, and this lack of disposable income is also a factor in how much people eat.

The laws require full-time employees receive an annual health exam. There is no anti-obesity law per se, but good marks on the health exam are important to employers. I have seen a few overweight workers starve themselves for weeks to trim down their weight in preparation for their annual health exam. I am self-employed, but I do get regular checkups. According to American standards, my weight is optimum for my height and age, but according to Japanese standards, I am overweight.

There is no real discrimination against obese people in Japan. Social pressures take a back seat to workplace pressure. The professional population spends most of it's time at work, where it is mostly faceless and voiceless. Those who have the time and energy are more active; running is an increasingly popular activity, cycling and golf are other poplular activities. Running and cycling are trendy, golf is a social/business activity.

As the price of food has come down over the years, Japanese have become taller and wider. Obesity is more widespread than in the past, but it is still uncommon.

Last edited by Sangetsu : 03-02-2014 at 01:33 AM.