View Single Post
(#4 (permalink))
Old
annachiu (Offline)
New to JF

03-27-2015, 02:04 AM

I am getting marry soon with a Japan guy and, yes, I am an Asian.

In Hong Kong there is quite a big group of Japanese living here. I think one of the reason they are not marrying with foreigners is because of the collective culture of Japanese. They always sticks with the same group of people.

Of course, I don't think typical Hong Kong girls matches with typical Japanese guys as the status of females in Hong Kong is so high (can say that it's higher than guys, because of the British "ladies first" culture may be?) I did took some time to make my fiance to be a "gentleman" in Hong Kong girls mind and he is perfectly a gentleman now :P

I was living overseas for years and Hong Kong is really an international city. To make a relationship work out between different cultural background, I do think the person should put more effort than the others, and need to be very open-minded.

My fiancee lived in Japan for almost 30 years. His English was not that good but he really put a lot of effort to improve. He thought his English was good before he came to Hong Kong but he understood the reality after coming. He put a lot of effort to learn better English. Most of the time we speak in English now. To communicate with our parents, he is learning Mandarin and of course I am learning Japanese too.

The other point is open-minded. Although he was living in Japan since birth, his world knowledge is good. We can discuss the news around the world and he understands, and most importantly, respects and accepts different cultures (except the Chinese cultures, so as me :P)

To make a relationship works out don't just rely on the language, most important part is how to understand and accept some cultural difference....

Anna Anna