View Single Post
(#1 (permalink))
Old
pecosmile (Offline)
New to JF

Which engineering degree for working in Japan? - 06-01-2015, 05:45 PM

Hi everyone,

at some point of my life I would like to live and work in Japan - not sure for how long, let's see how things will turn out. First I wanted to study International Economics with Japanese as a second language, but I don't want to base my whole education on my present dream of living/working in Japan - who knows if I still like it in a few years.

I have heard that with IE and Japanese I won't acquire any skills they couldn't get from a local applicant anyway - my Japanese will probably not get me a job and economics jobs will be very rare for foreigners, especially without several years of working experience.

So you need something that sets you apart from the local applicants, at least that's what I have read. The best university of my country is not far from where I live but it only offers technical degrees. The graduates usually get multiple job offers and maybe after a few years I could get the chance to work in Japan for some time.

My actual question is which of the following studies/courses will give me the best chances (in your opinion). On my shortlist are the following:
-Mechanical Engineering
-Industrial Logistics
-Material Science

maybe also:
-Applied Geosciences
-Mineral Resources Engineering
-Petroleum Engineering
-Industrial Energy Technology
-Polymer Engineering and Science
-Metallurgy
-Industrial Environmental Protection and Process Engineering
-Recycling