View Single Post
(#285 (permalink))
Old
Hatredcopter (Offline)
In the middle of nowhere!

05-25-2007, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xlll View Post
What's your bachelor's degree going to be? The CIR looks a lot more upscale in terms of work and so on, but I assume the pay shouldn't be half bad considering there's very few of them. I wonder why they don't have any in Tokyo considering it's a major city. What made you want to become one?
Bachelor of Arts in Global Communications, minoring in Linguistics.

Like the previous post mentioned, CIRs are paid the same as ALT. I want to be a CIR because I want to work in an environment where I can use and practice my Japanese on constant basis in the workplace. It has always been my goal to be completely fluent and literate in Japanese. I also like the job tasks that the CIRs perform rather than the ALTs. The ALT job is a bit of a mixed bag; you might actually be planning and teaching an English course yourself (technically illegal, but it's done in many places), or you might just be the so-called "Human Tape Player".

Also as mentioned before, the bigger cities don't get many CIRs. The biggest cities in Japan are already 'internationalized' to an extent, so thats why most CIRs live and work in the smaller cities. Either way, I'd prefer to go to a smaller city in Japan (not quite rural Japan, but in between). It's in the smaller cities that you really get to experience the heart and soul of Japan, as it were. Tokyo is a fun place to be, but it's just too busy and too international for me.