(#12 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
05-30-2007, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawaiineko View Post
The first implies I've done no research about the culture of Japan, the food they eat, and that western foods aren't available in grocery stores (wrong, I have)
Actually, you have just caused me literally laugh out loud. Western foods aren`t available in the grocery stores here. Wow! That is a new one to me, being as my dumpy little neighborhood grocery store carries most western foods that I can think of. You have shown that you really HAVEN`T done any research, or if you did that it was very poorly done.
I can`t think of anything, really, that I couldn`t either a) buy in a local store or b) make from ingredients in my local store.

Quote:
The second statement implies I'm reluctant to even eat Japanese food because I'm not going to like it since it's different from western cuisine (wrong, I just don't care for fish/seafood)
You know, we barely eat seafood. You know what I had to eat for dinner last night? An omelet, a salad, and chicken soup. Oh so seafoody! Seriously, you need to calm down. If you think Japan is nothing but seafood, or that things other than the "traditional Japanese diet" aren`t available, you are very disconnected from reality.

Quote:
The third implies I'm a softie and will not eat their food because I think it's disgusting and/or I've become so accustomed to western food I'll refuse to eat food from any other culture if I become immersed in said culture (in this case Japanese culture) (WRONG). Also that I'm too particular and refuse to adjust to their culture and their food. Also wrong when I said with the initial post I'm perfectly willing to do that; however the transition is going to take time.
Really, I don`t care why you do or don`t want to eat Japanese food. It looks like you`re going to have a lot more problems than that.

Quote:
The assumption was made that I choose to get to the coast of China via an expensive method and I'll do so all the time because Japanese food won't appeal to my palate. Wrong; I know that going to Shanghai I'll only do sporadically because it will be expensive and kind of a hassle to transfer yen to yuan. I'm not going to take a plane to get to the coast of China, when I could just as easily take a boat to get there. That is perfectly feasible seeing how Japan is on the sea (it being an island) and Shanghai is on the coast of China, which means Japan and the coast of China are in close proximity with one another.
Okay, seriously, you need to find a way to get in touch with reality.
You cannot just hop back and forth between Japan and China. In fact, it might do you some good to look at a map. Japan is NOT off the coast of China. Check the map. Japan is close to Korea, and even then ferries between the two are expensive. To go from the main part of Japan to China via ferry would be a long and expensive trip. Not to mention visa worries, etc. It may be easy to get a short term visa as a Japanese citizen, but last time I checked US citizens had to apply more than a month in advance. But I`m sure you`ve "researched" all of that.

I`m very sorry, but I think you have some other anger issues that you need to work through (along with basic geography for a start) before you actually make a trip to Japan.

I really couldn`t care less about your reasons for wanting to eat the foods you want to eat. What I do care about is that you`re freaking out for no good reason, even when you were given realistic advice.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.