View Single Post
(#3 (permalink))
Old
stekun (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to stekun
Getting Around - 06-14-2007, 05:59 PM

I would recommend obtaining the necessary kanji's for train stations along your route. Although there is often English as well, seeing all of the characters glaring at you can be intimidating when you're new, don't speak the language, and are jet-lagged. That said, the transportation system is very easy and convenient once you get used to it.

<http://transit.yahoo.co.jp/> is the best page I've found for looking up train routes and maps. BUT, the dumb thing is all in Japanese. I would be more than happy to dig up your train routes for you and help you plan out how to get where you're going. Just PM me if you would like!

The address system is actually pretty nice... if you have a map. Again, PM me and I can help you out with more specifics on this and also help you get some maps and stuff.

For me, the biggest initial shock was the language. And sushi. But I found that I acclimated to things pretty quick. Looking back, the toughest thing about the who experience was... coming back to America!