View Single Post
(#2 (permalink))
Old
DXL (Offline)
JF Regular

06-15-2007, 04:54 PM

When i was there last week, i was in Kyoto for four days but had side trips to Hiroshima, Himeji, Osaka and Nara. and the last four days i spent in Tokyo with a side half day trip to Yokohama.

If you are only going to be in Tokyo, you can go to Yokohama for like half a day or something, see all the sights Asakusa (the temple, Nakamise etc), Ginza, Shinjuku's Kabuki-cho, Odaiba is great as well and you can also have a day trip to Kamakura.

For Mt Fuji, i opted for to try to view it from Lake Ashi but unfortunately, it was the most overcast day of my stay. You can get a Hakone Furii Pass from Shinjuku which will take you to thru Odawar to Hkone Yamuto, up the toy car railway to Gora then onto the cable car up to Souzan then the ropeway to Owakudani to see and smell some smoldering sulphur pits and then more ropeway to Togendai. then a sighseeing boat across the lake to Moto Hakone and then a bus down the moutain back to Hakone Yamuto. All in all this takes about four hours from Odawara station.

The train stations are clearly marked and easy to navigate. There are English announcement on trains, arrows on the platform to tell you where to stand, arrows showing you the name of the next station etc.

Yen is fine, the coins are easily distinguishable and on some occasion, if you have just coins, the shop attendant will probably pick out whats needed from you hand without cheating you.

One thing though, trains can be expensive if you dont have got a Japan Rail pass, are you getting one? how long is your trip for? give us some more specifics and i'm sure some others here will come up with things to do