(#5 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-17-2007, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaksokuDa View Post
I think it's great.
But I wouldn't like it if everyone liked anime, I like Anime, not many people I know do, that's part of the charm I think.
That's a very interesting and honest take in the situation, and I think a lot of people are in the same boat.

For example, fans of punk music love punk music, and think it's the best, but at the same time don't want their favorite punk bands played on Top 40 radio and selling out auditoriums. They still may feel that music is the best, but they don't want EVERYONE to think that music is the best because then they lose that ability to define that passion as a part of their unique personality. Totally and completely fair.

Though as anime does spread through Western society, we see its popularity spread, but also sub-cultures emerge. To me saying "I am an anime fan" is almost like saying "I am a TV fan" (not quite, but getting there). Horror, comedy, shoujo, space opera... we are getting more and more titles now that can be classified and sub-classified so that you can get genre fans. I am an "anime fan" but I am certainly not a fan of most of the anime out there, just as I am a "music fan" but the majority of music out there doesn't appeal to me (as it is with most people, I am sure).