View Single Post
(#45 (permalink))
Old
Daniel (Offline)
New to JF

12-24-2006, 07:03 PM

Hi Nyororin I have a couple of questions for you if you don't mind.

But before that I want to say a couple of things. I was born and raised in South Africa, and I moved to England with my family two years ago (I'm 20 now). I have been very interested in moving to Japan for a few years now. It started off when I was 14 and I got into the whole anime thing. After that I started getting realy interested in Japanese history, and in the last few years I've been into Japanese culture and way of life. I have heard that if you're a foreigner trying to live permanently in Japan, you need some sort of university degree (which is not always the case, seeing as you went there when you were 17). I plan to start studying for a degree in computers next year. The degree will (hopefully) take four years to complete, and after that I want to move to Japan. I don't realy know that much Japanese, only a few basic words, but I am confident that if I put my mind to it and try realy hard, I can learn enough Japanese over here, that if I move to Japan that I can speak basic Japanese, and then learn it properly over there. I also don't want to rush into moving there, so I think I will probarly try and get a one year working visa first, and if I like it there (which I'm sure I will) then I can hopefully live there permanently. I know alot can happen in four years, but if everything goes according to plan, I will be living in Japan permanently in the next six or seven years. I have a couple of questions, but before I dive into those, I just want to say I am glad everything worked out okay in your life and that you are happy now. Now to the questions.

I live in England, so how hard will it be for me to get a visa, for one years work or permanent living? So if I get a one year working visa and I like it there, how would I go about living there for longer, hopefully permanently?
What is the best way to learn Japanese reading and writing? It seems it is alot easier to learn to speak Japanese than to read and write it.
Will it be hard for me to find work there if I have a degree, but I don't want to teach English i.e not be a teacher but work in a place where I will have to speak Japanese most of the time?
How are "westerners" treated over there? I have heard that the Japanese people see some of them as "uncivilized". I know this is generalizing, but I want to know if Japanese people are accepting towards foreigners. You say you are married to a Japanese man. Basically I'll put it like this: I think Japanese women are very beautiful, and if I ever live there permanently, I will probarly get married. Do the Japanese find the foreigners attractive? Do the Japanese and the foreigners mix (as friends and as spouses). This is one thing that concerns me alot, that if I manage to move to Japan, that I will not be accepted by the Japanese.
Thanks alot if you decide to reply.