View Single Post
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Stacmon (Offline)
New to JF

Lowest Cost of Living in Japan - 09-30-2007, 12:56 AM

Hello everyone. I've nearly completed my International Business degree here in Canada and I'm strongly considering doing the JET programme.

I've noticed that they pay about 300,000 Yen per month and this has made me curious about the cost of living in various Japanese cities/towns.

Can anyone tell me which cities (250,000+ people) or regions/prefectures of the country have the lowest cost of living?

One particular place I'm considering is Hokkaido. I've read that it has many national parks and a great deal of wilderness. I also know that it was among the last places in Japan to be settled on a large scale. As a Canadian, the colder climate is nothing that scares me, and I enjoy a "good" winter .

In particular, can anyone tell me how living costs in Sapporo, Hakodate and Asahikawa compare with each other and those of the rest of the country?

I've also considered living in Kyoto because of its historical and cultural significance, but I've heard that Osaka is very expensive (more similar to Tokyo), so I'm worried that Kyoto will also be expensive.

So if anyone knows about the cost of living in each of these cities and where the lowest cost of living in Japan is, I would greatly appreciate it! (As I'm sure many others would.)

Thanks to anyone that can offer some insight!