View Single Post
(#8 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-30-2007, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacmon View Post
Well as I understand it, you're given a chance to select preferred places to live in. You mentioned that they'll pick the place, does this mean that these choices generally have little effect and typically they're more likely to assign you elsewhere (so its rare that you get your choices)?

Also, you mentioned that the school paid part of your accommodation. Is this normal? Will your salary/benefits (ie: partly paid for accommodation) vary greatly depending on where you are placed?

And lastly are there any ways to ensure you get a good/favourable placement with good benefits if that is the case?

I don't mean to bombard you with questions, but you seem to be quite helpful, which I really appreciate!
Basically after you are interviewed if you pass you are given a ranking. The highest ranked people have a better chance of getting their choices. Think of it this way there are 48 prefectures in Japan, and 90% of the people probably put 10% of them as their preferences. So the chances of getting any of those is slim. I wasn't put anywhere near my choices, but in the end, I was much happier for it.

Accomadations vary, but I don't know about costs. I paid 30,000 a month for a very tiny apartment. My friend paid the same amount for a 3-bedroom house (he lived in alone). But I was closer to the city. The prefecture you live in is your boss, so every situation is different.

I am not sure what you mean by favorable placement, but the short answer would be no, not really. Flexibility and the ability to adapt to unfamiliar situations is the most important quality in a JET applicant.