Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-30-2007, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacmon View Post
Great, thanks.

In that case, I'll clearly state that my preference will be "Urban."

The way I see it, if I'm placed in a big, metropolitan city, I'll have more to do around town, meet more foreigners and so on.

On the other hand, if I'm placed in a smaller city, town or (GASP) village, I'll be considerably more immersed and will not be able to "escape" my surroundings, which will make learning Japanese considerably simpler (through total immersion).

By the way, after a person's JET term is up, do they still have a large number of English teaching opportunities in the country if they want to stay? Is there a lot of competition for these positions or is it possible to make a good living/get a good salary after the JET experience?
The Japanese government buys you a plane ticket there, and a plane ticket home, and expects you to use both. You contract does not allow for you to find work after you leave, and your visa will expire once your contract ends. Transferring visas from one employer to another is very difficult and almost impossible for a JET.

The major private English schools mostly recruit outside of Japan.

You can certainly try and look for other work post-JET, but you will need to come back to Canada and then get your visa again of you want to start a new job.