View Single Post
(#3 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

10-19-2007, 03:11 AM

Psychological changes? Yes, but I can't really describe what they are very well. Most people living outside of major cities and especially those with lots of Japanese friends become a little Japanese-ified. For example, lots of things are abunai (dangerous) to Japanese people. It rubs off on you and soon enough everything is abunai. Another thing I've noticed, I have been driving in Japan for almost a year now and the other day I was playing a videogame. Suddenly I noticed I was driving on the left side of the road in the game because it seemed natural. Then there is the constant bowing even if it is just with your head. It becomes like a reflex.

As far as language, there are words like onegaishimasu and daijoubu that become regular parts of speech even when speaking to other gaijin. I've also noticed that I have a bad habit of simplifying my English and dropping particles from my speech. Then there are the noises. They really aren't words but for example, when you don't understand something you kinda go "Eehhhh..." And you really want to draw it out when you don't believe someone. Then there are the grunts or going "mhh, mhh" to show you are listening and understand.

Then there is the body language. But I picked this up in the US from Japanese friends and teachers. Tilting the head to the side, exaggerating your facial expressions, pointing to your face rather than a hand to your chest, and so on.

There are more things, but I can't think of them right now.

Last edited by jasonbvr : 10-19-2007 at 03:15 AM.