(#7 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
01-22-2007, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbvr View Post
I didn't think it was possible for them to work anymore than what I see where I am. But one thing I noticed about Japanese farmers, they harvest one day and the next they are out putting seed in the ground. They don't even give the soil a chance to rest much less take one themselves.
Trust me, they do work more. It may seem like it a lot in the city, but that`s because the people you are seeing around you are generally out because they`re working...
In the countryside, everyone is always working. Even when they`re at home.

For example... My husband`s family. Everyone gets up at 4am, sometimes earlier. Father-in-law heads out to work at 4:30, mother-in-law heads to work at 6, but before that she readies things for work by going to the fish market, as most of the fishermen are getting back at 4. Grandmother is up at 5, and heads out to her field after eating, doing laundry, sorting preserved foods, and cleaning. She gets back at 10 or so, eats an early lunch, prepares her harvest for preservation, then heads to help someone else somewhere... She get`s home around 6 and then does the housework. Work for mother-in-law ends at 5, but she does deliveries until 8. Then after she comes home, she has all the from-home work, marketing, and sales. She`s generally doing that (while hurriedly cooking dinner) until 11.
Father in law gets home around 10 after working all day, does all the calculations, and leftover work that mother in law needed his help with. They all generally collapse around 12.

Everyday. Everyone else around is the same or very similar. Weekends? That`s when you can get the most work done because now the kids are out of school and can help all day...

So, yes, city life is very leisurely in comparison.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.