(#2 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
11-11-2007, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle View Post
1- Is taking "health insurance" compulsory in japan?
As far as I know, yes - if you`re here over a certain amount of time. (Generally 3 months.)

Quote:
2- If so, which company would you recommend for a "student" that spends on average more than "$1000 per year" on medication (this is ofcourse before getting refunds)
I don`t get what you mean by "company". Japan has national health insurance. There are no "companies", unless you`re referring to getting traveler`s insurance outside of Japan.
As it`s national, your insurance premium will be the same regardless of your condition. However, as the Japanese insurance doesn`t cover 100%, you`ll be paying a percentage of each cost incurred. (30%?40%? I forget.) That is, unless you have a disability or other condition which would make you eligible for 100% coverage.

Quote:
3- Do you need to register with a "General Practitioner" (normal doctor to visit for non-lethal illness)
No. You can go to any doctor, any time.

Quote:
4- In tokyo, how much does it cost per visit to a GP?
I don`t know about Tokyo, but I would guess it`s the same as around here. For just a general visit, it`s about 2500 to 3000 yen out of pocket.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.