(#19 (permalink))
Old
Harold (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-21-2007, 05:57 PM

hy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurasaki214 View Post
so i've just been told on this other forum.....but look at this.

here:Lesson 82
Ta Form + tokoro

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a simple add-on that states that you (or someone else) have done something just now. One similar to this, the Ta Form + bakari, was already covered in Lesson 74. The major difference between these two is that bakari has a kind of "relatively speaking" sense to it, while tokoro really means just now. For example, sono kasa o katta bakari (I just bought that umbrella) could be used even if the umbrella was bought a week ago because, relatively speaking, it's still brand-new. However, if tokoro were used in this sentence instead of bakari, it would mean that the person had just bought the umbrella a moment ago; or, in the least recent sense, that the person had just arrived home from buying it.

Here are some examples where tokoro is used frequently. Ima (now) is often placed before the verb to emphasize the freshness of the event:

Watashi wa ima kaetta tokoro. (I just got back now.)
Kodomotachi wa ima tabeta tokoro. (The kids just finished eating.)
Kono heya o souji shita tokoro desu. (I just cleaned this room.)
As usual, add desu to make a statement polite.

There is another handy use for tokoro, and that is with plain (Base 3) verbs with datta (plain) or deshita (polite) added on. It's used to convey "was just about to....":

Ima Sachiko ni denwa suru tokoro datta. (I was just about to call Sachiko.)
Watashi no saifu o wasureru tokoro datta. (I almost forgot my wallet.)
hehe, that's one thing Genki fails to cover then.

I
沖縄           My blog