View Single Post
(#123 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-08-2007, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I don't think any of those Americans are here...

Samurai says Al Jazeera is anti-American, yet you say they aren't allowed to show the Army in a negative light. Both these things can't be true. Who is stopping the presentation of Al Jazeera news?

When you say your brother wasn't allowed to show something what does that mean? Did the US Army take the videotape from him? Or is it a policy thing?
They can both be true, actually. They can try to spin things in an anti-American light, and present their stories with a bias that is subtle enough that they can still appear to be a legitimate news agency, and thus also be unwilling to air some stories that are too sensational and over the top in their bias. It can sometimes be a fine line between subtly spinning the news in the direction you want and going so far that no one takes you seriously as a news source anymore.

Also, not every person within an organization as large as Al Jezeera is going to agree on things. There can be internal conflicts, with some editors killing stories they deem too biased and others promoting such stories.

But Noodle, surely you aren't trying to claim that Al Jezeera tries to show the US and Israel in a favorable light, or even a completely impartial light, are you? Whether it's one story being killed or "half the crap the US does", surely you must agree that Al Jezeera has a pro-Arabic and (at least subtly) anti-American and anti-Israeli agenda, right? I mean, I can easily admit FOX news has a right-wing agenda and bias, even if they still report on Republican scandals and stories that show the right in a negative light.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan