View Single Post
(#41 (permalink))
Old
popeyethehomeswinger (Offline)
New to JF

01-30-2007, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbvr View Post
Sorry if I came off as a bit condescending. I just wanted to share the info.

Owning and driving a car is quite expensive. Then they have charges like how NHK broadcasting comes to your door and collects a tax if you own a TV. Traveling inside Japan can be pricey when you are trying to get relatively far from home such as round trip 100 USD for me to get from Ota in Gunma to the other side of Nagano.

The toughest expense though is beer. Two dollar beer is more depressing than, well I don't know anything even remotely as depressing.

Cheap stuff, cigarettes, rice, instant ramen, convenient store food and everything in the amazingly awesome one hundred yen stores.

Oh and let's not forget the expenses incurred due to cultural norms like giving money when a coworker is sick and omiyage which I know I didn't spell right. This is when you bring back souvenirs for like everyone you know when you go somewhere.

Then say you bring candy for your students but not for the teachers they get all secretly pissed even though you brought them high dollar chocolates just two months before. I had ten pounds of candy in my bag. How can I bring something for everyone when I have like four hundred students? Geez, I thought I was working with adults.
no worries, no harm meant, aight ?
it doesnt seem to be more expensive than living in sweden..
We also have to pay a fee to watch tv, like a 100 usd a year, althoug alot of people scam, using a so-called " pirate box" lol.
And talking about tobaco..
the new government we got last fall have introduced a higher tax on all tobaco, cigarettes costs like 7 usd and the snus ( popular oral tobaco) costs a buck less..
the beer's about 1 - 2 bucks depending on the brand, and iv'e heard that they'll raise the taxes on alcohol... fucking nazis.
also the gasoline is VERY expensive sometimes, 1,5 - 2 bucks the litre.

anyhow, it sounds hilarious what you mentioned about how people expect you to buy gifts to em, like an irl anime

There aint nothing like homeswinging =)