View Single Post
(#519 (permalink))
Old
Hatredcopter (Offline)
In the middle of nowhere!

12-16-2007, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanji_The_Wanderer View Post

Lazy students huh? From what you hear about Japan on the outside, and from educational films, students seem to always be on the ball, and never slacking...Hard to see them as lazy.
That's how it is for high school students. University entrance exams are inhumanely competitive in Japan, so high school students face a lot of pressure to do their best in high school to get into a university. During high school, many students will even attend a cram school at night to prepare even more for these entrance examinations. However, once they've been accepted to a university, that's it - they're in. I guess the theory is that university is kind of a time to take it easy, as they've been busting their ass for so long in high school. It doesn't take as much effort to graduate from a university as it does to get into one in Japan, so that's the biggest reason why.

I attended a Japanese university for a year, and I wouldn't really say anyone seemed lazy. I'm sure if I had attended a Japanese high school prior to a Japanese university, I'd probably see the difference.

As far as exchange programs, I'm curious to know where you're from, because even in the boring ol' midwest where I'm from, almost every university has at least one exchange program with Japan. One of our universities has a whopping 6 different exchanges, from Tokyo to Osaka to Sapporo to Nagasaki and so on.

郷に入っては郷に従え