View Single Post
(#8 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-20-2008, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJup81 View Post
These look really nice too, the Nagasaki pics especially, but, for some reason, I know I'd have a terrible time visiting Nagasaki or Hiroshima. I just get an overwhelming feeling of grief, fear, and depression just thinking about those places. I know that probably sounds strange coming from someone who has no real connection to these places (or Japan in general). To be honest, I stil don't understand why I have such feelings. My mother used to joke whenever I'd go on about Japan as a child, that maybe I was Japanese in a past life or something, which would be ironic.

Anyway, off of that subject, I can't wait for more. Did you do any visiting in Northern Japan? Like say...Hokkaido?
Nagasaki is completely rebuilt, including many historical buildings that were rebuild exactly as they originally appeared, and same with Hiroshima except the 1 "A-bomb dome" which they left as a reminder. But I know what you mean... I was on my trip at Christmas time trying to take my mind off spending my 1st Christmas alone in my life, I was looking for fun things, not depressing ones. So while I visited the Peace Park in each city, I did not go to the A-bomb museums. As a history major in university with a specialty in WW2, I did my Honor's Thesis on the bombings, so I was not a stranger to what pictures and images I'd see there. I just wasn't in the mood to see them 2 days before Christmas on a trip to cheer myself up.

I never made it to Hokkaido or anywhere north of Nikko (2 hours north of Tokyo). I'm not a fan of snow and extreme cold, having grown up in California. Thematically, the closest I have is when I went hiking in the Japan Alps, which are actually in central Honshu. I'll post some of those pictures next.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan