View Single Post
(#14 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-23-2008, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChisaChi View Post
Eep, that's a bit too rural for me. I want to have some decent public transport at least...

I have heard stories of people putting down the Tokyo prefecture(?) as a preference thinking they'd be close to Tokyo, then ending up on tiny islands from which it takes longer to get to Tokyo than most of the rest of Japan, heheh. Although I suppose island life would be fun in it's own way.

I know the JET selection process is reputed to be almost random, but are there many applicants that got through with no teaching experience at all? A lot of people I've seen around seem to have teaching ambitions and qualifications, and plenty seem to have done a lot of tutoring and volunteer teaching. I don't have any of these things, which worries me a bit. Although I do have a year to do something about it, I suppose.

Another question! Do private companies hire ALT's mid-year? I know they try do most of their hiring for the start of the school year in April, but I've heard of JET alternates getting upgraded as late as August. If I didn't think I'd get through and looked around for a private position in June or July, would there be any?
I don't think a desire to be a teacher is high on the priority list of qualifications...though I wouldn't say that in the interview.

I put Tokyo, Nagoya, and someplace else, and I got Kansai...at least I was in an urban area...and couldn't have been happier with my location (between Osaka and Kobe).

I don't know anything about mid-year hiring...but since NOVA went out of business, there are a lot of people looking for English-teaching work in Japan right now.