View Single Post
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Lonewolf (Offline)
New to JF

Going to Japan for 2 years to study the language - 02-04-2007, 09:23 PM

Hi again. I just want some clarification on a couple of things.

Here's my situation: I am living in the UK at the moment. I want to go to Japan next year, for 2 years, on a student visa to study Japanese. I will probarly either go live in Nagoya, Kyoto or Osaka (I'm a bit weary of Tokyo) I will be 21 when I come over. So here's the questions:
Accommodation: I'm guessing I'll have to live in an apartment. I heard it's realy hard to get an apartment if you're a foreigner. Will I be able to get an apartment for two years if I am on a student visa? I'm not too picky, I'm just looking for a place to live in, not a 5 star hotel.
Working: I know you aren't allowed to work on a student visa. But I will have to work, to earn money to survive. By the time I want to come over I will have saved up alot of money so I will be able to survive on that for about 3 months or so I think. I would also be able to pay the first cuple of months rent. But I will have to work part time while I'm studying Japanese. What kind of part time jobs do you think I will be able to get, seeing as I won't have a degree or know much Japanese in the beginning.
Studying/Language: My main goal in coming over is to become fluent in Japanese. After say two years of study, I think I'll be near fluent. Where would I study the language? A university, school, college or what? I am sure if I study hard (which I will) I'll be fluent. After that I want to either do a degree at a Japanese university, in Japanese. Or I'll just come back to the UK, do my degree and then go back to Japan.
So, yeah, any help or opinions are realy appreciated.