View Single Post
(#6 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-10-2008, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nao View Post
I do not currently own a cell phone, as I don't have much of a need of one here in the States (but that will change soon...).

I may or may not be meeting up with one or two of my Japanese friends while I'm there... that much, as of this point, is not determinable.

As far as scheduling goes, under no circumstance will I make my schedule hectic or overly busy, but I appreciate the suggestion. I'm not particularly fond of the idea of being in a rush or pressed for time when I'm on a vacation - it just doesn't spell R&R to me, if you know what I mean. I'm looking to make this more of an easy going, casual experience. I want my mind to wander, as well as my body. This isn't only a trip for the sake of having a trip, it's going to be a learning experience that I can carry with me for a lifetime. I often find I enjoy myself most, and learn the most, when I don't have an exact direction. The little things along the way, you know?

About meals... I've been told I can eat as low as $4-7 a meal out if I really wanted to eat some junky meals, but I'm budgeting $30/day for meals anyway. As it is, I usually only eat two meals a day anyway, and maybe a snack otherwise, so I think that's plenty -- rest assured, I have space in my budget to spend more if I need to or want something special. The place I'm staying is completely furnished, so if I do decide to do some cooking on my own, I should be accommodated suitably.

-----------

Something I would like to comment on:

I have been made aware that there is a chance (not entirely small, especially for the length of the trip I am taking) that I may encounter people who are openly & negatively xenophobic. How should I deal with these people, assuming I encounter them? Bow and walk away? Just look around and stay quiet? Get in an all out battle royale with them (kidding, kidding!)? I'd assume the first, but please give your input on these situations.

I have also found that I will be there during the tsuyu. How expensive are umbrellas there, and are the ones at the airport a rip? Should I just find some konbini somewhere and pick one up?

Thanks.

-Nao
You can eat fairly well for about $6-7, less if you just want some ramen or yakisoba. And that's not junk food, it's still fresh and healthy.

I don't think you'll encounter much open hostility from Japanese people. In my 2 years there, I never once did. Generally, Japanese who don't like foreigners will ignore you or give you the cold shoulder, not yell at you or anything. I'm sure it's possible, but I never encountered it. If I did, honestly, I'd try to find out why they are angry and dispel some of that hostility, but then, I love a good political debate, and acting as a mini-ambassador!

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan