View Single Post
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Miak (Offline)
New to JF

02-16-2008, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunitokotachi View Post
I'm not trying to be negative at all. I just don't know how realistic it is to obtain the level of Japanese necessary to pass the entrance exam for a Japanese university within the span of only 4 years. Even if you spoke every single day. A lot of my Japanese friends weren't even able to pass that exam. I have a friend now who told me all the studying he did for that test. He had to study various subjects such as Japanese history, etc. I forget what else. I'll ask him again for you.

Haven't you considered going to college where you live? let's say you enter college at 18 then get your bachelor's degree by the time you are 22 or 23. You could get a master's degree by the time you are 25 or 26 and then go for your doctorate. You would be maybe 28 or 29 by this time and able to get a well paying job. Let's say you eventually make $75,000 dollars plus every year. You can live a very comfortable life. I think this is more realistic than spending the time and resources to get into a top 3 Japanese university.

I would love to see where your Japanese is in 4 years. You should ask MMM how much studying and how long it took him to be able to become a translator. I'm not sure if he took that entrance exam or not but you should ask.
As for my Japanese level, I am pretty confident I could pull of fluency in four years. Many people attend a Japanese University after one year of Japanese language school. I don't know if you know a lot about learning languages, but generally, schools aren't going to give you that kind of fluency, meaning people hack their ways through Japanese Universities with broken language skills. If you want a more clear example, visit your local university and find some international students. Try talking to them. Their English will usually be way less than perfect, but are they not still in an english speaking college, succeeding (to a certain degree...)?

You are 100% right about the entrance exams though. I am not sure if the exam is editted at all for foreign students. If not, I will just have to study harder.

In the past, I did consider attending a university in America. The idea faded though. My goal is not to get rich quick or anything. My goal is to live a modest life in Japan. Obviously, it would be ignorant to say I wanted to live in Japan my whole life, because I haven't been there, but I would like to attend college there.

On another note, like I said earlier, I am really only using Osaka University as an example. I am not to picky about the college I will attend in Japan. I don't have too go to Osaka University (Or any of the "top universities".)

Thanks for pointing out all that stuff though. It got me thinking about those issues. If you (or anyone) has any more advice on this topic, or personal experience in Japan please share.

Last edited by Miak : 02-16-2008 at 10:33 PM.