View Single Post
(#21 (permalink))
Old
NishiHime (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Champorado - 03-05-2008, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artificalflavor View Post
I don't know if it's more of a breakfast of a dessert, but something that i have had that was realy quite good was a chocolate/milk/rice thing called "champ-o-rado" i'm not shure i even spelled it correctly, but it is like a hot chocolate porrage and you can put as much or as little milk in as you want
ooooooh that sounds sooooooooooo good!!! I looked it up and you're right - it's called Champorado. Here's the info:

Champorado (Tagalog: tsampurado) is a sweet chocolate rice porridge in Filipino cuisine. It is traditionally made by boiling sticky/sweet rice and cocoa powder giving it a distinctly brown color. However, dry champorado mixes, which may be found in some Asian food stores, are prepared by adding just boiling water. It can be served hot or cold and with milk and sugar to taste. It is served usually at breakfast and sometimes together with dried fish locally known as tuyo.
The pudding becomes very thick and the lighter milk helps to "loosen" it. It's almost like eating "chocolate oatmeal." It can be eaten as a snack or dessert as well. Sweet rice can be found in most Asian aisles of a grocery store.

Ingredients

Preparations for champorado takes about 5 minutes.
The ingredients needed to make this dish are as follows:
  • 1 cup sweet rice
  • 2 1/2 cups water
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • sweetened condensed milk (optional)
Recipe

Champorado takes about 35 minutes to cook.
The recipe is as follows:
  • Cook rice in a medium-size saucepan with water.
  • Stir constantly.
  • When rice is ready, rice should be somewhat transparent and it'll feel thicker as you stir.
  • Add the balance of ingredients except milk.
  • Serve in bowls with swirls of milk on top.

- Nishi

~~Member of JapanForum Royal Clan of Gods & Goddesses~~
http://www.nishimusic.com
Webmistress of UsagiandMamoru.com, MiakaandTamahome.com, MaxLovely.com, PrincessIshtar.com, ArwenandAragorn.com