View Single Post
(#5 (permalink))
Old
cuonglhvt (Offline)
New to JF

03-11-2008, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I don't know where you are from, so please give a little information about that.
I am from Vietnam. I think Vietnamese have to learn much from Japanese the way (a modest way) to preserve traditional culture. I don't think China is a good teacher.
Quote:
In Japan, children born on January 1 on will be born in the Year of the Rat.
Thank you! I didn't know about that before.
Quote:
I cannot yet determine if you are crazy or not. If you are making a crusade agaisnt the Western calendar in Japan, I wish you the best of luck.
No, on the contrary, I am making a crusade against Lunar Calendar in Vietnam.
Quote:
Japan has adopted Christmas, Valentine's Day, Halloween (to a small extent) and other Western holidays, along with their own traditions, so I thing you will be hard pressed to slap the West out of Japan's calendar.
That is similar to Vietnam, In Chrismas, the Christian stay at home and the non-Christian go downtown . An Vietnamese has adopt Valentine's day and alot of western festival. Most national holidays are in Western Calendar...
Quote:
In Japan they say you are born Shinto, marry Christian and die Buddhist. Serious religious practices are only practiced by few, but almost all Japanese participate in religious traditions, even if the tradition is more important than the religion.
That is similar to my country. In Vietnam, the Buddhist, local religious and ancestor worship traditions mixed together. But in Vietnam, people won't have a Christian wedding if they not yet baptized (I am not Christian).
But more important, can you kindly answer my first questions.
- Do you feel warm with your family in the Shogatsu?
- Do you feel “traditional” in the Shogatsu?
- Are you happy if your Authority use Lunar Calendar for your traditional Festivals, holidays (Shogatsu, Hinamatsuri, Kodomo no hi, Tanabana and Obon). I mean that your Government use two system of Calendar (Lunar Calendar for traditional. Western Calendar for national holiday and western festival). As in China.
Thank you for your answering! I only want to use your answer to open Vietnamese eyes about traditional.

Last edited by cuonglhvt : 03-12-2008 at 09:14 AM.