View Single Post
(#9 (permalink))
Old
cuonglhvt (Offline)
New to JF

03-11-2008, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
3) I am not Japanese, so I cannot answer for a Japanese person whether I am happy or not, but finding a balance between the West and the East, between tradition and modern has been one of the traits the Japanese have excelled at for decades. I have never heard a complaint about this specific topic from a Japanese person before.
I heard that in Meji Era there are three ways of cultural policy set out for discussion:

1. Progressive: Arinori Mori is the first Minister of Education. He recommended a lot of policies to remove many traditional standard that he think is obsolete. He even recommended to use English instead of Japanese.

2. Conservative: N. Motoda opposed strongly the Westernization.

3. Neutralize: Yukichi Fukuzawa.

I don't know which group recommended the use of Western Calendar for traditional festivals.

I don't know what was the argument between groups about this topic. Is their any historic document? I don't think 100 years is a long time enought to delete the historic proves of this.

I want to know what Japanese people at that time thought when they have to convert to Western Calendar.

I really want to study about this topic and more about Japanese history.

@kyo_9: Thanks for your encouragement!

Last edited by cuonglhvt : 03-11-2008 at 12:27 PM.