View Single Post
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
03-11-2008, 11:25 AM

I think that in a lot of ways, you`re sort of misunderstanding the "festivals on the western calendar" thing.

Shougatsu is celebrated on 1/1 - however, every other festival I can think of has just been moved to the coinciding date. You`ll find discrepancies between the dates of different celebrations based on the region, etc. Festivals that have
traditionally been held on the lunar calendar are still mostly set by the lunar cycle. Changing the way of saying the date doesn`t actually change the time of the festival.

And from my husband, who is Japanese;

Quote:
- Do you feel warm with your family in the Shogatsu?
I don`t know what you mean by "warm", but it is the time for the family to gather.

Quote:
- Do you feel “traditional” in the Shogatsu?
To an unfortunate level.

Quote:
- Are you happy if your Authority use Lunar Calendar for your traditional Festivals, holidays (Shogatsu, Hinamatsuri, Kodomo no hi, Tanabana and Obon). I mean that your Government use two system of Calendar (Lunar Calendar for traditional. Western Calendar for national holiday and western festival). As in China.
Other countries also use two calendar systems for festival dates. Normal dating is done by the western calendar, so if no one bothered to tell everyone what date lunar festivals fell on with the western calendar it would be a great pain. Tanabata is set locally, some places use the July date, some places celebrate in August.
Two calendars are a pain to remember. What is the problem with setting them on the one calendar that is relatively universal?

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.