View Single Post
(#13 (permalink))
Old
anrakushi (Offline)
草上之风必偃

03-14-2008, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyumika View Post
"College" is a term we use to describe both the years we spend there and the place itself. However we use the word "university" which only refers to the actual place. For example, it wouldn't make much sense if I said something like, "When I was in university, I remember..."
well for the rest of the world that speaks english as their first language that would be perfectly normal to say it that way. generally the term college is used here to refer to high schools (years 7-12) especially those that are private and of a religious denomination.

for the record, i don't particularly like the education methods used in Japan, having studied with japanese students not just in 'gaijin' classes the method of teaching is very different from that used in australia and i found myself hitting a wall with many of the teachers who refused to accept opinions outside of their own thoughts, especially my teacher for the UN relations classes i took.. my god, she actually told us NOT to research for our end of semester paper and refused to accept anyone's paper that had researched.