View Single Post
(#18 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)
Fashion, Games + Art Mod.

04-22-2008, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalnSG View Post
I cannot begin to guess how many times I have argued both sides of this issue. You are both right, depending on the person and circumstance.

What I have experienced is that those who truly express an inner nature by their apparel truly appreciate that those who dress similarly help define the look to outsiders, whether they have any thought behind their choices beyond "ooh, neat!" or not. By the same token they have every right to resent those who are dressing that way simply because they want to either fit in or contrast themselves to others, because it dilutes the message - sometimes even perverting the original message of the fashion.

But there is always a meaning behind how one chooses to be seen in public. There is still intent, regardless of whether its to call attention to a philosophy or simply to demonstrate that you don't care beyond comfort issues.

For instance, when I see someone wearing a leather collar or heavy neck chain I have a simultaneous, if somewhat schizophrenic reaction. You see, at one point in my life a leather collar was something my partner earned from me. It was a symbol of loyalty and service, not a trinket that was fashionable or that you purchased for yourself. When I see one around a neck in public, part of me appreciates that it could move from its history in with those of us in an even deeper subculture to something worn by another generation in defiance of the norm, part of me is amused because often I can sense the wearer has no clue what it means in that other world, and part of me wants to challenge the person to defend their right to wear it because it degrades that history.
Yeah, I agree, that's a pretty good way to sum it all up