View Single Post
(#26 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

04-27-2008, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchu View Post

But I have never been a fan of those people who say like "True masters do not compete in tournaments" and so on. I reckon people who say this are just afraid of humility. Bruce would have known if he got into a kick boxing ring he would have gotten smacked in the head a thousand times, even if he won every fight, which some do, he still would have taken a few beatings to win it. The best and most refined skills are the ones that are put to the test and mastered in a proper fight. I know I trust my teachers because they have paid for their mistakes with blood and tears, as will I soon. Someone saying this is a bad thing is either afraid of being hit, for whatever reason, or knows their skills are inferior and cant bear the shame of looseing.
Seriously... not everybody cares about the fighting.

For example my friend's Wushu teacher is amazing. She trained with Jet Li as a kid and is respected as a master by many top wushu practitioners throughout China. Her reputation as a master comes not from beating up people in a ring but via her speed, athleticism, skill and grace as a martial artist which she displays. Even at 50+ years old!