View Single Post
(#25 (permalink))
Old
Akakage (Offline)
JF Regular

05-01-2008, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
The big problem with recommending the skilled labor visa is that they are very rarely granted without having a degree. In fact, almost none of the working visa actually list a 4 year degree as a requirement - it`s not necessarily the legal requirement that we speak of here. In order to get any of the working visas (skilled labor not excluded) you have to have a position lined up. Most employers require certain levels of education. And if they don`t, then there is no reason to look abroad in the first place.
It`s not the visa laws themselves as much as the "finding somewhere to hire you" bit.

The only people I have heard of getting skilled labor visas are those with VERY specialized skills. Specialized skills aren`t really something you can just casually suggest someone do - In the end, it may be easier to just do a 4 year degree than stack up more than 10 years of a skill that requires talent to begin with.

In the end, you`re still going to have to find somewhere that will hire you - and 99 times out of 100, they`ll choose the person with a degree plus experience over the guy with no degree and experience. Even if the law says you are eligible for that visa, without a job placement you can`t even apply.
In short what you're saying is that just because you qualify for a visa doesn't mean a company will hire you correct? I agree with that but the reason why I suggested that Miyavifan look into this is that she mentioned she's 35, which means that there's a chance she might have 10+ years experience in a certain field. She also said she doesn't have the money to pay for a college so this maybe her only viable option. I'm not saying that she's going to automatically get a visa because of this, but it will allow her to apply for a job in Japan. Are her skills in demand in Japan? I don't know. But if you don't qualify for a visa, there is nothing a Japanese company can do to help you. But if you do qualify for a visa, whether by having a degree or having experience, and the company likes you and hires you, they will sponsor you for a visa to live and work in Japan.

Will there be competition for the jobs? Most definitely. But that's the same not matter what country you go to. Will she be competing with people who have degrees? Most certainly. But is there a chance she could get hired? Indeed there is. I'm not saying this to pick a fight or trying to contradict you. I'm just saying this because it is possible. I know because I am in the middle of a series of interviews with a company in Japan. Nothing is set in stone and I might not get the job but they were more than willing to interview with me and they tell me they are pressing forward to have me hired. I don't have a degree, just 10 years experience in the IT field. What I've realized is that looking for a job in japan is like anywhere else. You have to qualify for the position, you have to sell yourself and make a really good impression on the employers. Does having a degree help? Sure. But not having one doesn't mean you shouldn't apply for a position.

Miyavifan The experience included in the skilled labor visa includes any schooling, whether college or vocational school, that applies to the field you are working in. For example I went to a technical school here in the US. The time I spent there counts towards the 10 years experience. Have you been in certain field of work for sometime?