View Single Post
(#30 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-02-2008, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuwabuki View Post
I should have been clearer. I was talking about foreigners, working in jobs where foreigners are desired.

You can get in without a 4 year degree, as I say, but it's the first thing they look for, and if you don't have it, you have to present all these substitutions for it.

Do you agree this is accurate?
99% of jobs were foreigners are desired are in language teaching. There are so many people with degrees that apply, resumes of people without degrees would probably not make it far in the process.

Think about this...and this goes back the the "pride in one's work" category.

I am in charge of hiring in a Japanese company. I get 10 resumes from foreigners for job X. Among those 8 have degrees and 2 don't. I may think one of those 2 is really qualified, but I am not going to hire her. Why? Because when I tell my boss I hired a degree-less candidate, he'll say "What did you do that for?" If she makes ANY mistake, it will be MY fault, because I am the one who hired an under-qualified candidate. I must think about what's best for the company, and Japanese companies aren't in the business of taking risks or going out on a limb for the people they hire.