View Single Post
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Alastor (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Video games & the market today - 06-16-2008, 03:44 PM

It seems that the video game market today is kind of lacking the innovation, intensity and variety that we had a fe years ago.

When looking at the western market, MMORPG's are extremely popular because they are the perfect buiness plan: the consumer will buy the game, and - assuming the game is good enough - thre consumer/gamer will continue playing this and pay their monthly fees to the company. MMORPG's are great cash cows. Then there are two other games that seems to be keeping their popularity> FPS and RTS games. In fact, the western market seems to be completely dominating the PC. In return, the western market is dominated by PC games.

When I look at the Japanese market, I see lots of sequels spewing out. While I'm quite certain MMORPG's are popular in Japan, it seems console games are dominating the market. And most of the popular games are either sequels or spin-offs, I see few new titles. In Japan, handheld systems are increasing in popularity (school, subway, trains, etc) seem to be ideal opportunities to have a go at your DS or PSP.

So I'm asking: What do you think about the market today? The western market and the Japanese? What do you think about PC games, console games and hanheld console games?