View Single Post
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Alastor (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-17-2008, 08:28 PM

MMORPG's dominate the market in such a sense that they're more played. I'm not picking out a single game, but rather viewing genres as a whole, and to me, the western market seems dominated by MMORPG's and other forms of western RPG's along with FPS games. If you look around, you'll see Halo 3, Bio-Shock, Unreal Tournament 3, Crysis, Far Cry, Call of Duty 4, Battlefield, etc. and Strategy games seem rather popular, too (Starcraft and Warcraft are still popular), but new ones like C&C, Generals, Civilization, World in Conflict, etc.

Sequels are still a good way to go, because there is demand for popular titles. Halo, Zelda, Mario, Resident Evil, Final Fantasy and Grand Theft Auto, to mention a few, will always sell nicely. I find the latest delivery of consoles by Nintendo to be iincredible feats, but there are far too few quality games for these consoles. There are many, of course, but I'm looking at video game developers here. They're not taking any chances, they're sticking with what they know will bring in money.

I personally still think that this generation is doing really great, I think all consoles are fine to play with. I have a secret crush on the DS, but apart from that, I think they're delivering. I'm just a bit disheartened by the lack of new, innovative and really fun quality titles. There's too much focus on the graphics and physics department.