View Single Post
(#17 (permalink))
Old
JoshAussie (Offline)
わかりません

06-24-2008, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul11 View Post
Living in Japan was great. I don't live there now because I wanted to find something more meaningfull than being an English teacher. I love teaching, but English in Japan is irrelevant. Once I returned home I realised how much I love my country. I went to Japan as someone who wanted to see the world after earning an Anthropology degree. I returned just prior to
sept. 11. I love my country and have found rewarding work. However, my family visits Japan every year and I return every year or two.

I didn't enjoy Tokyo because it was just another big city. I can see that in san francisco or LA. I lived in a rural area in the states prior to Japan and lived in the countryside in Japan, so I was used to a slower more genuine environment. Tokyo was big, loud and messy. I have no need to see a bunch of kids dressed like hippies in harajuku.

In the countryside I could learn more about traditional culture and history. I also could visit more beautiful natural and historical places.

Hokkaido was beautifull, but more similar to the geography of northern America. I went to learn about the Ainu, so I stayed in a fantastic hot springs resort, visited the spa twice a day, hiked among the treed with their fall colors and talked to Ainu.

What did you see that interested you in Japan?
hahahahahaha

i havent been to Japan yet, but currently planning a small trip with a friend.. id say we will just be kicking it in tokyo dont know for how long yet tho