View Single Post
(#1 (permalink))
Old
MortyB (Offline)
New to JF

Strange stuff in Tokyo/Japan - 07-23-2008, 11:11 AM

Hey. I`ve been to Tokyo for a couple of days, and I found it very different from Europe. I have a couple of questions:

1. Why do the Japanese flash the peace sign with their fingers ehen seeing westerns?

2. Is it any theft at all in the city? I saw people leaving their belonging unantended all the time.

3. I`ve allways heard the stories about "don`t leave the job before the boss". Is this still a part of the workingculture?

4. What about the Japanese sex industry. I saw alot of it in Shinjuku. I also heard that this area was commonly visited when people where going out to have some fun. Can you tell me more about the area? In Lost in Translation Bill Murray are offered a hooker from the people he works for (I also read about it in a Murukami book- Dance, dance, dance). Is this common?

5. What about the schoolgirl/goth fashion. Is that inspired from a cartoon or something?

This was some of the strange things I saw in Tokyo. I`m glad to have some answers, and please add more if you come up with something.

M