View Single Post
(#49 (permalink))
Old
Paul11 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-19-2008, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
If they are sleeping, then I do think it is okay.
My husband slept with his parents - both of them - until he moved out. As did his sister and brother.

It isn`t nearly as unthinkable a scenario as you present it as.

What I am trying to say is that although SIDS is offered up as a reason, the real reason is entirely cultural. SIDS is used to justify the cultural belief. The fact that SIDS rates are actually lower in co-sleepers verifies this. People believe in their culture, and want something factual to back up these beliefs. In the case of co-sleeping, SIDS is taking that role.

What's your medical training? Medical doctors are using SIDS as a way to justify...? I'm not sure staistical data backs you up.

And sleeping with your parents may be seen as acceptable in some cultures, but that doesn't make it good. Kuru is a disease that came from eating human brains, but they thought that was the right thing to do. (great examnple, huh? ) I don't think it's particularly healthy for a marriage to sleep with your parents until you move out? this is also in a country where there is a lot of evidence that 'sex-less" or love-less marriages are a problem. It's not "unthinkable" or unfamiliar to me, just not healthy.

The kids should be the focus of the family. everything is about making sure they will be healthy and successfull. But not at the expense of the marriage relationship. I think it's just as healthy to show a child that mommy and daddy love each other and that there are sacred, intimate parts of that relationship that are not shared. sleeping together is a mysterious hint of that to children.

Kids can learn thier parents love them from other ways than sleeping together until thier adults.

I don't think I know everything about this issue or claim to be an expert. Not saying you can't be right, just my opinion and experience.

Last edited by Paul11 : 08-19-2008 at 08:22 AM.