View Single Post
(#16 (permalink))
Old
CrazyLee (Offline)
4th Kyu Aikidoka

Send a message via MSN to CrazyLee Send a message via Skype™ to CrazyLee
09-11-2008, 09:04 AM

Here's my entry. Its been a while since I've wrote anything like this, makes me wonder why I ever stopped.

Quote:
Dawn. The sun rising over the mountains revealed what was once a beautiful land now ruined. All that was left was a wasteland. Fields of wheat, maize and other crops all destroyed. Some of the fires still burned in the distance where the locals had been unable to put out the fires. Bodies of those who had tried to save their livelihood lay strewn around, most burned beyond recognition. But some, some where different. Some of the bodies were slightly paler, almost as if the life had been drained right out of them.

Khalos kneeled next to one of these bodies, examining it closely. He had seen many corpses in his life, and this one wasn’t one of the nicest. Still he kept his composure whilst he worked; checking the pockets of what was once a peasant. His partner on the other hand was still violently throwing up what small breakfast she’d had when they first saw the fires. She’d been travelling with him for a few years now, but still had trouble when it came to fresh corpses of the living. Wiping her mouth she turned, the dark leather of her cloak rustling slightly in the wind.

“Found anything?” she asked, still standing a little way from the body.
“Yes. It was as we feared.” Khalos rose, turning towards her. “The wounds on his neck are too similar to yours for it to be anything other than one of them.”
She shuddered, remembering the experience. It had been 5 years and still it gave her nightmares. Not that she would admit it anyway.
“What happens now?” she asked, knowing the answer but hoping, pleading that it would be different. He gave her an appraising look, already knowing that she was afraid of the answer. Calmly he walked past her, picking up his pack and slinging it over his shoulder in the process.
“We go after whatever it was that did this. Maybe we can get some recompense for the destruction to the crops here. Either way it ends here.”
Following after him, she notices the small group of peasants trying to find any crops left after the fires.
“And what of the locals? Can we not help them, in some way?” Her voice was no longer pleading, she believed that these people needed there help above all else now. Khalos looked at the peasants, at the way they worked in the fields.
“No. All we can do to help is ensure no-one else suffers the same fate,” He looked at her, noticing a single strand of red hair had fallen past her hood, his gaze boring deep into her, “For these people, the world has just ended.”