View Single Post
(#115 (permalink))
Old
Wasabista (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-20-2008, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMisa View Post
Like I already said - Hitler was heavily influencial but it doesn't mean all germans are nazis. Radical feminists were highly influencial but it doesn't mean all feminists are radical.

The feminist movement have done amazing things that well outweigh the fact that people are misinformed about domestic violence. Of course it's a negative thing that people believe that - but you can't blame all feminists because of that. The media has a massive influence in how people think of things. How would people see the message of the radical feminists message? Through the media. They choose to broadcast the radical feminists message a lot more than the feminists one. Look what damage that has done to the reputation of the feminist movement - ivionk3y thinks they are all women who are pissed because their boyfriends left them, and you think that they are pointless and make everything worse. It's a real shame that nothing positive that they do is ever shown.
My aim isn't to blame all feminists for the ills of the world, or to suggest that all feminists are bad people. My mom's a feminist, and she's nice as can be!

My point is that a movement in any age is defined by its achievements. Feminism is no different.

As you point out, MissMisa, feminism has achieved great things. It brought women the vote, it brought them into the workplace, it brought them into the corridors of power. All good things.

But in the past 30 years? Seems to have lost its way. Whatever the views of individuals, feminism as a force for change has all but ceased to be a force for good. I've already outlined what I think have been the movement's main achievements over the past 30 years, and they don't look good. The quest for equality seems to have disappeared -- instead, the movement has become just another special-interest lobby, with the same aim as everyone else: More for us, less for other people.

Besides, as I said, I don't like the narrative. Where's the gratitude? After generations of protecting our women from harm, rushing into battle so our women can stay at home, hunting dangerous beasts so our families can eat protein, working in coal mines and construction sites, discovering medical procedures like modern obstetrics... and all the thanks we get is "women need men like a fish needs a bicycle"? A mendacious yarn about "thousands of years of oppression?" How about a thank you? How about "Thanks for your protection and support, we can take it from here"?

『辛かった」といえる前に
「辛かったろう」と言ってくれる