View Single Post
(#2 (permalink))
Old
StangGuy (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-21-2008, 08:56 PM

you will land at Kansai Airport. That is an important distinction because Osaka has two airports. After going through customs and immigration you will go outside. There are signs directing you to the different forms of transportation. You will cross over a bridge and then there are two different train companies. Go to the JR ticket booth/kiosks. If you use the kiosks hit the english button on the lower right of the screen. Select the limited express to Shinkansen option. Now you will have to chose where you get on and off the Shinkansen(bullet train). Get on at Shin-Osaka and off at Hiroshima. You will have options for which trains to take, some will have more transfers than others. Also, you need to make sure you have time to transfer trains at Shin-Osaka where you will get on the Shinkansen. Both times I have flown into Kansai, the first train was late. Last time it was so late that even though I had chosen a Shinkansen that was supposed to depart 20 minutes after my first train arrived I only had 2 minutes to make the transfer once my train arrived at Shin-Osaka. Fortunately Shin-Osaka is a small station that is easy to get around so I made my train. I think you can also chose to just take the limited express train to Shin-Osaka and then buy Shinkansen tickets at Shin-Osaka.

The train ride takes about 50 minutes from Kansai airport to Shin-Osaka and then 1 1/2 hours from Shin-Osaka to Hiroshima.

Yes there is food and drink on the train. The food is usually small snacks, sandwiches, and I think a couple simple bentos. The drinks are juiceses, beer, sake, and soda. However, most people buy their food before they get on the train. I have only bought Ice cream and juice on the train.